Youth is both an advantage and a disadvantage to our overall health. When we are younger, we are naturally more energetic and less likely to get injured, so it is easier to take good health for granted. Many of us engage in recreational binge drinking but reason that we have plenty of time to get our acts together. We can be more responsible when we're older, so why not have some fun when we're in our twenties?
While there's something to be said for blowing off steam and testing our limits, those good times and coming-of-age experiences sometimes lead to bad habits. It's hard to change habits that involve doing things we enjoy such as smoking and consuming alcohol. They are pleasurable on different levels as they include the oral sensation of taste and consumption followed by the familiar response we have when the chemicals kick in.
The normally-accepted way to deal with problem drinking is to have the drinker abstain completely. If the subject is physically dependent on alcohol and wants to survive, withdrawal may include hospitalization in order to deal with potentially fatal effects. Understandably, such an individual should probably avoid alcohol permanently after detoxifying from it.
But let us consider the problem drinker who is not alcohol-dependent. He or she may find life difficult without the relief of those evening cocktails, so there needs to be another way to deal with stress and nervous energy. I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that anyone who has formed the habit of relieving stress with alcohol would need the willpower of Superman in order to either quit drinking or learn to drink in moderation without replacing it with something. And by "something" I don't just mean meetings.
For me, exercise has been a key ingredient when it comes to changing drinking habits and healthy living, overall. But this exercise regimen must be performed on a regular basis without excuses. Sickness or injury are reasonable excuses, but television and "just don't feel like it" are not. New hobbies or interests are great ways to refocus one's energy too, but if we don't feel good physically, we are more likely to get careless and do self-destructive things. Some people don't exercise and manage to maintain great balance in their lives, but I'm convinced that we are at our best when we move our bodies rigorously on a regular basis. This may involve aerobic activity such as walking or running, resistance training, or a combination of the two. Some people enjoy martial arts and boxing as well.
While regular exercise is undoubtedly beneficial, some people do end up going to extremes. Think of the guy you see out running in 100 degree weather at noon in July. He is so concerned with his exercise regimen that he risks dehydration and other detrimental effects which may occur when exerting oneself in extreme temperatures. He'll probably just get sweaty and tired, but you get the idea. Any goal or activity can become an obsession, which is why many of us, myself included, must continually strive for balance in our lives. Even if overall balance is put on the back-burner during busy times, we can still be aware of interests that have the potential of becoming obsessions or even addictions.
I'm not a personal trainer, so I don't have the experience necessary to recommend an exercise program. But there are plenty of fitness professionals out there, and some of them even post free information online. Just look around. But be careful; a lot of workout programs posted online or published in magazines may not be a good fit for someone who is just getting started or trying to get back into shape following a lengthy period of sedentary living! It's easy to get injured, so get checked out by a doctor to make sure everything is running smoothly and start slow. "Boot camps" and "hard-core" training gyms involve strenuous activity, so be wary of over-zealous instructors. The guy or gal with the chiseled physique may not remember what it's like to be getting started. Don't be afraid to tell Mr. or Ms. Workout Machine that you need to take it down a notch. After all, you are the customer and you're there for well... you! If you don't like gyms or health clubs, try walking. It's free and you can listen to music while you do it or just zone out while you "get in your zone."
As I continue find balance in my life, I can't imagine maintaining it without some form of regular exercise. I attend a YMCA with a wide array of activities available. I also get a nice reality check when I see handicapped people there who rely on wheelchairs or walkers for mobility. If a guy in a wheelchair can make it to the gym in order to use the pool, an able-bodied person can find the time to exercise as well. Lack of time simply is not a good excuse in most cases. If I can get up at 5:30am to exercise three days per week, almost anyone can do it. I've long considered myself to be a night owl rather than a morning person, but I stepped outside my comfort zone and re-trained myself. The benefits outweigh the costs, and I have the advantage of taking care of exercising early so that other obligations and social activities don't get in the way.
Maintaining a regular exercise schedule has improved my energy and strength during the past several months. It has also made me realize the value of looking and feeling good as a result of healthy activities. Along with some other adjustments, it's gotten me closer to the balanced life I mentioned earlier. I'm capable of change and it feels great! Rather than listen to the naysayers, I decided to change my habits and my old way of thinking in order to make drinking an occasional pleasure rather than something I needed to give up forever. At this point, I simply refuse to fall back into my old behavior.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please keep it clean. All questions and comments are welcome! Just be polite. Thank you!