Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Introduction - Alternatives to Abstinence

For years, problem drinkers have had few alternatives when looking for help. Some want to quit while some wish to change their habits in order to drink responsibly. The old design dictates that a problem drinker should admit that he or she has a problem and that he or she is is powerless over alcohol. Some people may truly feel that way while others say, "Wait a minute! I've been really irresponsible with my drinking but I... like drinking."

For those of us who do not identify as alcoholics, there is Moderation Management *, a non-profit organization that provides a network of support groups for drinkers who want to change. MM does not consider moderation the best alternative for everyone as some people find abstinence easier. Think of it this way: if you have a problem, would you rather be told what to do in order to fix it or be offered alternatives so that you can make up your own mind? Many people would rather be offered alternative from which to choose. Of course they would! It's empowering! Life is difficult enough; most people must struggle with numerous obligations and things that must be done because there simply is no choice in the matter (pay taxes, apply for and renew various licenses and permits... the list goes on and on).

When it comes to alcohol consumption, many people experience problems, but in the end, alcohol use is a very personal choice. Regardless of all the problems that arise out of its use, alcohol is a legal substance and it is firmly ingrained in our culture. While some people have difficulty limiting their usage, others find that they can learn to drink in moderation, sometimes even after falling into bad habits.

So here I am. I created this blog to share my ideas and help establish a local group of like-minded individuals. Rather than commit to abstinence, I have committed to moderation. I don't consider myself to be an exceptionally strong person when it comes to willpower, and I won't say anything as uplifting as "Anything is possible!" In fact, I tend to be a bit cynical and sarcastic at times. But... I still believe that with a little willpower and a firm commitment, most people are capable of changing their habits and finding more balance in their lives.

*Please feel free to contact me directly at baltimore@moderation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean. All questions and comments are welcome! Just be polite. Thank you!