Ah, shots. If you've ever been a partier, you've probably done a shot or two. Or a few too many. People do shots of almost any liquor or liqueur. Some go for traditional booze such as whiskey or vodka, and some want the more fun, creative stuff like jello shooters. These are usually served as bite-sized cubes or in little, paper pill cups. At trendy bars, attractive young women (sometimes scantily-clad) walk around and sell shots in little plastic tubes.
The problem with all of these quickly delivered doses of booze is that a lot of people combine them with a number of other drinks such as beer, wine, or mixed drinks. If consumed in a short period of time, those drinks tend to intoxicate people. That's sort of the point, but over a period of time, fun-loving twenty-somethings can form some pretty bad habits. One is that they get used to binge drinking and drinking a lot in a short amount of time in order to get a buzz. Another issue is that those living in areas where most people drive everywhere (most places in the U.S.) are more likely to get behind the wheel after an evening of drinking.
I'm here to discuss moderation though, so I'm going to look at how the popularity of shots and shooters relates to our drinking habits. Okay, so if a guy who is practicing moderation goes out with some friends and orders a beer, that's one drink he's working on already. Let's say his buddy orders a round of shots for the group. They all clink the glasses together, throw them back, and they're gone. The first beer usually goes down a bit faster for a lot of guys, especially if it's a partyin' sort of night. Therefore, most guys can easily down two drinks in less than thirty minutes, especially if there's a shot involved. Well, a little time passes, the guys are having some laughs and one of them wants to be generous and help make a good time even better, so he also orders a round of shots for the group.
Situations like the one I'm describing above happen all time. I know because I've lived it and it's easy to observe the same thing going on in bars and clubs all over the place. You can go out for the evening with good intentions ("I'll just have two drinks")and end up wondering if you should drive home. Consuming shots not only gets us started on that "slippery slope" of problem drinking; it also makes drinking in moderation quite difficult. Think about it: is't throwing an entire serving of alcohol down all at once sort of the antithesis of practicing moderation and self-control?
I found myself in such a situation several months ago, right around the holidays. I attended a friend's birthday party at a bar not far from my home. It wasn't far, but I did drive there, so I fully intended to drink lightly, have a nice time catching up with old friends, and then be able to legally drive home in a few hours. After more than a year of successfully moderating my drinking, I was confident that I could do so. I was successful, but that evening was a nice reminder of how easy it can be to over-indulge. Since most of my friends and I are 40 or older at this point, we tend to be a bit more restrained than we were in our younger days, but there's always those die-hard drinkers who order shots. I had one shot that evening and two beers but was there for about three and a half hours. It would have been easy to have six or more drinks in that time, especially since shots were being poured.
What's my point with all of this? It should be obvious. Shots are fun but they can be a factor in letting a night of social drinking get out-of-hand. Now that I'm an advocate of drinking in moderation, it seems that drinking shots is almost like throwing one's moderation guidelines right out the window. As I've gotten older, I sort of feel that doing shots is sort of stupid. I don't drink much liquor, but when I do, I want to sip it. That's why they call some whiskey "sippin' whiskey." I don't know if there are other kinds, but I'm pretty sure none of it is intended to be "shootin' whiskey." That is, of course, unless you mean that after drinking it, you get a certain buzz that makes you want to grab your gun and a few empty bottles and see if you can shoot them off of a fence post. But then your aim may not be so hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please keep it clean. All questions and comments are welcome! Just be polite. Thank you!